On day 3, we worked on the prepared grounds, building layers of marks, shapes, collage and paint. Add 1 - 2 things to a piece, then move on to the next piece. Stop agonizing over each decision. Ask often "what if ...", then go with the flow. These were some of the mantras of the of the day. Works in progress:
And some close-ups:
Ever feeling stuck? Monkey wrench to the rescue! That means covering a part of the rebellious painting with color or collage and continue from there. The result of monkey-ing a piece is pushing it in a different direction where hopefully it will get solved. Here are three monkeyed pieces:
I continued the layering process from this new basis. To be continued ....
Day two was dedicated to the explorations of shape as design element. First assignment - composition with 5 different shapes (different size and technique). I gave myself two more constraints - same shape and same color. I wanted to see what kind of result I will get when most parameters are predefined.
Next, we created more grounds using paint shapes with hard and soft edges.
Next step - layering collage and paint. At the end of day 2, the grounds looked like this:
It was an eye opening day. I always strive to achieve the most varied textures and colors so it was especially challenging to use only flat, opaque colors. I never stopped to ponder the impact of a flat shape next to a textured one, of a hard edge vs a soft edge.
My workspace at the end of day 2.
In Vermont for a 5 day workshop with Jane Davies - Abstract improv.
The day started with painting to music - it was a blast. We then started with line explorations - thickness, material, technique, placement on paper. A simple element and yet so complex.
Prepared grounds - layering marks and paint to make a background for further layering. To be continued tomorrow.
This is a little known event, at least in Montreal. And yet, the quality of the instructors is top notch. The details about this year's event can be found here - definitely worth a look.
This year, I went for a full day workshop with Bob Burridge. A full day indeed - from 3:30AM till 9PM - driving, painting and then driving back.
I brought back 6 warm-ups, 3 unfinished collage paintings with the theme "Claustrophobia", a bag full of goodies from the store and many pearls of wisdom from Bob.
The warm-ups - 2 min speed sketching. We were given words as topics - kiss, claustrophobia, to gather, calm etc.
These are 3 paintings on the theme Claustrophobia - works in progress.
And finally the bounty:
I came back energized and looking forward to doing more painting. Bob shared a lot of usefule tips, but few things really hit home.
I am setting up two pallettes this time - the "old" one and the new one that will hold some of the new colors I bought at the Vermont Art Event.
These are the new Holbein watercolors that I want to try:
I will use a separate pallette for these. This is a small plastic pallette of the same kind I used when I was in preschool. I removed the cheap colors and it is now ready to receive the colors.
I chose the following winners:
I did all this under supervision from "high above".
I then refilled the old half pans. They reside now in an old pencil box that belonged to my father. I think it is the only thing that I have that belonged to him.
These are the existing colors:
Now I have 27 half-pans! These are the new additions:
The final result looks yummy.Can't wait to start playing with washes and see what unexpected effects I can get with these colors.
After much deliberation, I decided to give my blog a new home and a facelift.
Archives of the posts documenting my artistic explorations for the past years (2007 - 2016) remain available at alcorart.blogspot.ca.