Continuing the practice from the Atmospheric Watercolor book, I ventured to paint negative shapes. I found inspiration in a photo I took some weeks ago - a bouquet of wild flowers. The photo and the base wash:
I love the salt texture, but in the following steps I managed to cover it completely. I also covered the right bottom corner with a great layer of ... mud! But fear not - gesso came to the rescue.
I gesso-ed the part I did not like, then applied watercolor ground. I was then able to apply more washes. I find that the ground is tricky to work with - I am not sure if it must be left to cure a certain amount of time. the paint lifts easily.
This is how the painting evolved:
Of course, it is quite a leap from the original photo and that is absolutely fine. All in all, I am pleased with the results of the experiment.